Monday, May 11, 2009

Released After 12 Years in Fear of Stoning In Iran

News
After being kept for 13 years behind bars, Kobra Najjar, a woman who was sentenced to ‎be stoned, was finally released from prison last Tuesday. At the moment of release, she ‎seemed bewildered and said these words to explain her feelings: “nobody can understand ‎how I feel.” Rooz spoke with Kobra, her daughter and her attorney.‎

After repeated requests for clemency, authorities finally agreed to release Kobra on May ‎‎3rd on the occasion of the anniversary of the 1979 Islamic revolution, like many other ‎prisoners are. Her attorney, Maryam Kian Ersi confirmed the release and told Rooz, ‎‎“After the head of [Iran’s] judiciary Mr. Shahrudi recommended to the amnesty ‎committee that Kobra’s stoning sentence be commuted, her name was added to the ‎amnesty list.”‎

Ersi explained the events leading up to Kobra’s release in these words. “On Tuesday I ‎went to the court to review the status of this case and to my astonishment learned that the ‎request for her release had been granted. I did not want to create undue expectations in ‎her family members, and so refrained from informing them of the news. But to my ‎surprise, I discovered that Kobra’s release order was faxed to Rajai-Shahr prison in Karaj ‎where she was staying the very same day.”‎

Kobra’s daughter Hiro, was 15 when her mother was arrested. Ever since, she has been ‎pursuing her case. She spoke with Rooz with tears in her eyes and being overtaken with ‎emotion. “Ms Ersi refrained from giving me the news to avoid disappointment. She ‎feared that my mother would be kept for 2 or 3 more days because of administrative ‎procedures and knew that I would go crazy in that period. But the child of another ‎prisoner who had been with my mother and whom I had helped in the past called me and ‎told me that my mother had just been released!” she said.‎

Kobra: I Cannot Believe It
I called Kobra late at night. I had never seen her, but knew so much about her. She too ‎knew that as a member of the campaign against stoning, I had been following up her case.‎

When we spoke, after the usual niceties and long pauses, Kobra said, “It is as if I am ‎walking in the clouds. I cannot believe that my feet are on the ground. I cannot believe ‎that I am in the presence of my children. Nobody can understand how I feel.” She ‎repeated the last sentence several times. ‎

At 47 Kobra is full of joy. “You know, during these 5 nights that I have come home, I ‎have only been able to sleep for 2 or 3 hours. I simply won’t fall asleep. Everything is so ‎unbelievable. My children, my mother, and everything else. I thank God.” She repeated ‎the last sentence several times as well.‎

Kobra was arrested in May 1997 for being an accomplice in the murder of her husband. ‎She told her story of how her addicted husband had forced her to turn into a prostitute so ‎she could be with her children and prevent them from harm. She stressed that if she had ‎not done what he threatened her with, she would have been harmed by her husband while ‎her children too would live under his threat. This is how she was charged with adultery. ‎One day, one of the clients that her husband had found for her, killed her addict husband, ‎with Kobra’s knowledge. He then confessed it all to the authorities, and in the process ‎also declared that Kobra was an accomplice in the murder by virtue of knowing of the ‎murder. Then Kobra was arrested, tried and sentenced to 8 years of prison and stoning, ‎and sent to jail.‎

Kobra’s accomplice however was released from prison when the victim’s family gave ‎their consent to his release, while Kobra’s stoning verdict remained. Until the passage of ‎‎12 years when she too was finally released, through an amnesty.

No comments: